Police Officer - Lateral
Company: City of Medford
Posted on: May 3, 2021
THE FINEST PEOPLE WORK HERE, SHOULDN'T YOU?
Are you an experienced police officer who is looking for a
Medford Police department is recruitingforlateral police
We are looking for candidates who are highly motivated with good
communication skills. You should value teamwork and collaboration.
Our officers serve in a culture which values new and innovative
ideas and our employees are empowered to find ways to improve our
service to our community.
Our leadership listens to our employees, who are our best asset! We
place an emphasis on delivering excellent customer service in
everything we do. You should exemplify integrity, trust and
commitment to those we serve.
This is a lateral only (experienced Police Officer)
recruitmentandalso will be usedto establish an eligibility list for
filling future openings in the Medford Police Department.
To qualify as a Lateral Police Officer you must be a certified
Police Officer in any state and have a minimum of 18 months
experience as a Police Officer.
Click HERE to see recruitment flyer
This position is for patrol officer. Patrol officers are assigned
to one of five beats we have in our city, and includes cover beats
as each shift contains roughly seven (7) officers, a Corporal and a
Sergeant. The schedule allows for staffing of two (2) teams during
time periods of higher call volume. We expect our officers to not
only respond to calls for service, but to proactively patrol their
beat and establish relationships with our citizens. Officers are
encouraged to find creative solutions to repeat problems in hopes
of reducing crime. Out of state lateral officers will attend the
Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) lateral
officer course, which is two weeks long.
Some of the many advantages of working for "Team MPD"
* Most innovative equipment and technology including load-bearing
* Competitive pay with incentives for specialty positions
* Southern Oregon is a great place to live, work and play
* SWAT, School Officer, Bike Patrol, the opportunities are
* 109 Sworn Officers
* Excellent mobility in the department
* 3/12 and 4/10 weekly work schedule
* Monthly training
TOTAL ANNUAL COMPENSATION PACKAGE
The anticipated hiring range for this position is $67,506 (third
step) to $70,927 or $74,581 (fourth or fifth step). Directly
related experience and qualifications will be evaluated alongside
others who perform work of comparable character as required by Pay
Equity Law. Six steps are included in this salary range, allowing
opportunity for annual movement through the steps.
Non-probationaryofficersadditionallyreceive up to an additional 5%
differential for college credits and 2% for Intermediate or 5%
Advanced DPSST certifications.
Note: Additional details related to certification pay, PERS, or
other additional pays can be found in the labor agreement, which
will be effective through June 30, 2021.Medford Police Officers
ABOUT THE CITY OF MEDFORD
Medford is one of the most beautiful areas of the Pacific Northwest
and is located in Jackson County, Oregon. Situated in the heart of
the scenic Rogue Valley, Medford, population 84,550, is the hub of
Oregon's fourth-largest metropolitan area. Located along I-5 in
southern Oregon, just 20 miles from the California border, Medford
is surrounded by breathtaking mountains in a region featuring
world-class outdoor recreation opportunities, including Crater Lake
National Park and the Oregon Coast. As the largest city between
Eugene and Sacramento, Medford is a growing city with a high
quality of life, a growing economy and a moderate climate.
Clickhereto view the Benefits Summary
* Medical, vision and dental benefits for employee and family, paid
at 100% by the City with the opportunity to buy-up to a lower
* Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance - policy
value of $50,000 paid by the City
* Long-term disability insurance provided by the City
* Health Reimbursement Account (HRA-VEBA) contributions provided by
* Oregon Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) is 100% fully
paid as the City pays both the employer and the employee's (6%)
* Deferred Compensation retirement plan (Section 457 Plan) for
employee's retirement planning
* Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
* The City has a fully equipped fitness center available 24 hours a
* The City's Wellness Program promotes physical, social, emotional,
intellectual, financial and environmental wellness with various
goals and challenges to participate in throughout the year.
Employees may qualify for wellness incentives by completing
milestones set within the program up to $200 annually
* Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Typical Job Duties
These duties are a representative example; position assignments may
vary depending on the business needs of the department and
organization. Position specific responsibilities may differ
depending on unit assigned to. This position:
* Prepares and disseminates reports and makes recommendations on
actions to be taken.
* Investigates local, state and federal crimes which may
* Determining appropriate actions to be taken.
* Determining resources to utilize.
* Determining who to interview.
* Determining appropriate evidence to be collected.
* Determining if illegal activities are civil or criminal
Responds to calls for service, which may include:
* Determining level of emergency or non-emergency.
* Formulating tactics to be used in approaching and contacting
* Determining if a report should be written, etc.
Enforces local, state and federal laws; cites and/or arrests
individuals who have violated applicable laws.May train and mentor
peers.Provides credible court testimonies.Investigates traffic
offenses and vehicular collisions, instructs public safety classes,
conducts emergency traffic control activities, and participates in
specialty details.Gathers intelligence information, identifies
local gangs, and investigates narcotic activities and
violations.Investigates a variety of in-depth cases,conducts
interrogations, and processes evidence.Scope of assigned area will
depend on departmental structure and is at the discretion of the
Police Chief.Upholds the values of the organization and has strong
customer service orientationMust have the ability to handle job
stress and interact effectively with others in the workplace.Must
be honest and truthful in all tasks and responsibilities.Performs
other related projects and duties as assigned.Demonstrates regular,
reliable and punctual attendance.Refer to job description for
* Must be a certified Police Officer.
* Must have a minimum of 18 months experience as a Police
* Graduation from high school and/or equivalent combination of
education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the
essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
* Must be 21 years of age by date of hire.
* No felony convictions.
* Current technical/professional knowledge of complex principles,
methods, standards and techniques associated with the scope of work
of a recognized profession.
* Requires possession of a valid driver's license by date of
* Must maintain acceptable driving record.
* Requires completion of a background investigation to the
satisfaction of the City.
* U.S. Citizenor the ability to become a citizen within 18
* Good physical condition.
* Must meet DPSST standards of speech, hearing and vision.
* Smoking prohibited in all City buildings and Police vehicles.
To Apply:City of Medford employment application must be completed
online via the City'swebsiteby 4:00 p.m. on closing date; this
position is open until filled:
Selection procedures and time lines subject to change. Those
selected must be able to provide proof of legal right to work in
this country. Hiring will be subject to a criminal history
background investigation, favorable driving record, physical
examination, drug screen and references.
If you have questions about the job posting, please contact the
Human Resources department at . For technical assistance and
questions with the application process, please contact Government
Jobs at .
Keywords: City of Medford, Medford , Police Officer - Lateral, Other , Medford, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!