Engineering Technician IV/III (Design)
Company: Government jobs
Posted on: January 27, 2023
We are currently hiring for an Engineering Technician IV/III to
join our Design work group within the Engineering Department.The
City of Medford's Public Works Department has 120 employees in
three divisions: Engineering, Operations, and Water Reclamation.
All three divisions work closely together to ensure the citizens of
Medford enjoy properly built and maintained streets, sanitary sewer
collection and storm drainage systems, and that wastewater is
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Years of experience:
- Engineering Tech III must have four (4) years of related
engineering technical experience; or
- Engineering Tech IV must have six (6) years of progressively
responsible engineering technical experience. ; or
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, surveying, construction
management, computer science, or specific area of study as deemed
applicable may substitute for four (4) years of experienceDesign
Services positions are responsible for:
- Designing and reviewing street, storm drain and sanitary sewer
- Creating construction drawings for alteration of utilities,
structures, street, pedestrian and other facilities.
- Developing project concepts; performing necessary computations;
cost/benefit analysis; recommending design criteria; assisting in
plan review processes.
- Communicating and working with the public, engineering
consultants, and co-workers.
- Computing material quantities and cost estimates.
- Conducting onsite visits to check plan/scope accuracy,
resolving discrepancies, and performing field inspections in all
types of weather/terrain.
- Performing project management duties, including preparing
contracts, change orders, and cost and pay estimates. Serving as
liaison between City and contractor, checking progress of work,
- Ensuring compliance with contractual stipulations and all
applicable codes and statutes.
- Preparing correspondence, technical reports, City documents,
proposals, contracts, bid documents, reports, graphics and
- Using AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Verifying contractor qualifications and monitoring work
- Negotiating property acquisitions, and verifying and
researching related documentation.
- Communicating drainage methodology and design for street,
sewer, storm drain, etc.
- Soliciting bids and preparing bidding documents for public
- Preparing and managing consultant and construction
- Experience with the design and construction of Public Works
- Experience with project management / contract
- Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Experience with utility relocation.
- Experience with right of way acquisition.
- Medical, vision and dental benefits for employee and family,
paid at 100% by the City with the opportunity to buy-up to a lower
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance - policy
value of $50,000 paid by the City
- Long-term disability insurance provided by the City
- Health Reimbursement Account (HRA-VEBA) contributions provided
by the CityRETIREMENT
- Oregon Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) lifetime
pension after retirement at no cost to employee
- PERS is 100% fully paid as the City pays both the employer and
the employee's (6%) contributions
- Deferred Compensation retirement plan (Section 457 Plan) for
employee's retirement planning ADDITIONAL BENEFITS
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- The City's Wellness Program promotes physical, social,
emotional, intellectual, financial and environmental wellness with
various goals and challenges to participate in throughout the year.
Employees may qualify for wellness incentives by completing
milestones set within the program up to $200 annually
- Access to the City's fully equipped fitness center 24/7
About the City
Medford is one of the most beautiful areas of the Pacific Northwest
and is located in Jackson County, Oregon. Situated in the heart of
the scenic Rogue Valley, Medford, population 84,550, is the hub of
Oregon's fourth-largest metropolitan area. Located along I-5 in
southern Oregon, just 20 miles from the California border, Medford
is surrounded by breathtaking mountains in a region featuring
world-class outdoor recreation opportunities, including Crater Lake
National Park and the Oregon Coast. As the largest city between
Eugene and Sacramento, Medford is a growing city with a high
quality of life, a growing economy and a moderate climate.
Click on the links below to learn more about Medford.
Examples of Job Duties
These duties are a representative example; position assignments may
vary depending on the business needs of the department and
organization. This position:
- Prepare plans, specifications, reports, and cost estimates for
public improvements such as streets, storm drains, sewers, traffic
signals/controls, and other public projects.
- Provide design, construction or consultant contract
administration and management or inspection of capital improvement,
repair, and maintenance projects.
- Assists Design Section Manager and City Engineer with delivery
of the Public Works Capital Improvement Projects.
- Prepare, review and maintain various data, reports, documents,
and project files, such as, but not limited to, change order
requests, quantities and material estimates, progress reports, site
plans, subdivision improvement plans, development agreements, real
property documents, submittals, as-built drawings, inspection logs,
and daily construction logs.
- Review improvement plans, maps, specifications, cost estimates,
and other work for accuracy, presentation, and conformance with
established engineering practices, City Standards, General Plans,
and Specific Plans.
- Assists the public with a variety of inquiries and requests for
information related to public works services; pursues and resolves
citizen complaints in area of expertise.
- Consults with and provides information to contractors,
developers, other departments, agencies, and the public.
- Use of Autodesk Civil 3D, word processing and spreadsheet
programs, and general office equipment.
- Assists in preparing City Council agenda commentaries; attends
meetings and represents the Public Works Department.
- Scope of assigned area of responsibility will depend on
departmental structure and is at the discretion of the Public Works
- Upholds the values of the organization and has strong customer
- Must have the ability to handle job stress and interact
effectively with others in the workplace.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity,
trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility,
cooperation, and communication.
- Performs other related projects and duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
Refer to the following job descriptions for more details on
responsibilities for each section and physical requirements:
Engineering Technician III
Engineering Technician IV
IMPORTANT (Please read): It is important your application shows all
the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may
be rejected if incomplete. Attaching a resume in place of relevant
education and experience or stating "see resume" will be considered
incomplete and may be rejected.
In addition to resumes and cover letters, the City of Medford
evaluates each applicant's work history and responses to
supplemental questions. Please complete the application and answer
the supplemental questions thoroughly to ensure our subject matter
experts can appropriately evaluate your experience as we compare
How to Apply: Please apply online. We do not accept applications
via mail. Applications must be received by the posted closing
- This position is open until filled.
- A resume and cover letter is required at the time you submit
your application in order to be considered - please upload PDF
versions to ensure the formatting is preserved.Selection procedures
and time lines subject to change. Those selected must be able to
provide proof of legal right to work in this country. Hiring will
be subject to:
- Criminal history background investigation
- Favorable driving record
- Physical examination
- Clear drug screen following federal law (which includes testing
- Professional reference checkQuestions or Assistance:
- If you have questions about the job posting, please contact the
Human Resources department at (541) 774-2010.
- For technical assistance completing your online application,
please contact Government Jobs at (855) 524-5627.
The City of Medford offers an excellent comprehensive benefit
package to all full-time employees.
For more details, review the Employee Benefits page of our website.
This position is in the AFSCME employee group.
01 Describe your understanding and experience with Public Works
infrastructure systems and components, include experience with
design and construction of street, storm, sanitary, and pedestrian
02 Describe your experience and level of expertise with AutoCAD
Civil 3D used in drafting or designing public infrastructure.
03 Describe your experience preparing or interpreting plans and
specifications, include any construction related experience.
04 Why are you interested in the Engineering Technician IV/III
position with the City of Medford?
* Required Question
Keywords: Government jobs, Medford , Engineering Technician IV/III (Design), Engineering , Medford, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!