Product Engineer I
Company: JELD-WEN, Inc.
Location: Klamath Falls
Posted on: April 6, 2021
JELD-WEN (NYSE:JELD), founded in 1960, is one of the world's
largest door and window manufacturers, with more than 22,000
employees operating in 24 countries globally. Headquartered in
Charlotte, North Carolina, JELD-WEN designs, produces and
distributes an extensive range of interior and exterior doors,
wood, vinyl and aluminium windows and related products for use in
the new construction and repair and remodelling of residential
homes and non-residential buildings.
Our products and services afford us the opportunity to enter
peoples' workplaces, homes and daily lives. With this privilege
comes great responsibility to ensure that the products we deliver
are reliable and enrich the places and lives that they touch. We
bring beauty and security to the spaces that touch our lives.
We act with integrity, invest in people, inspire through
innovation, deliver on our promises and improve every day. We are
seeking talented individuals who share this purpose and values and
want to excel in their field of expertise. We offer excellent
benefits, a collaborative environment in which to apply your talent
and a dynamic and growing company, with exceptional career
Summary: The Product Engineer I will be responsible for developing
innovative solutions for new and existing product, manufacturing
processes and techniques within the Windows team. The team
currently manages and develops new products and technologies within
JELD-WEN's windows and patio doors product lines. The Engineer will
work closely with Designers, Product Engineer II's, Senior Product
Engineers, the Product Engineering Manager, and Product Management
to carry out a variety of product designs and project work within
The Product Engineer I position is a mid-level product/project
engineering position that will lead small to mid-scale multi-body
design projects, be part of large-scale multi-body design projects
lead by Product Engineer II's and/or Senior Product Engineers and
provide valuable input and foresight into strategic engineering and
company initiatives. The Engineer will work with all members of the
engineering team and Product Management to understand and translate
the voice of the customer (VOC) into successful product/project
specifications, resulting in new products or product
The Engineer will be exposed to the multiple manufacturing sites,
personnel, methods and machinery used to produce JELD-WEN product
within the Window category and will be a member of the teams that
are tasked with improving manufacturing techniques, processes, and
specification of new equipment to support new and legacy product
designs. The Engineer shall always be cognizant of manufacturing
techniques and equipment in the execution of product design
improvements and new product launches to ensure components are able
to be produced efficiently and will not require multiple iterations
of design revision prior to production.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other
duties may be assigned
- This is a mid-level position and requires training and
supervision by Product Engineers II and Senior Product
- Manage small to mid-scale design projects.
- Manage/supervise some of the less complex work done by
- Apply engineering background to develop unique solutions to
- Contributing member of brainstorming groups and design
- Identify the requirements of product development projects on a
per project basis and work through the group to fulfill those
- Participate as a team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Coordinate testing and certification of all the products under
- Communicate with suppliers as required.
- Review drawings and engineering change requests (ECR's) for
- Prepares mid-level complex mechanical/architectural 2D sketches
and 3D models using computer aided design (CAD) and pictorial
- Creates mechanical/architectural drawings by reviewing models,
sketches, descriptions, specifications, and supporting documents;
conferring with Product Engineer II's and Senior Product Engineers.
The finished product must be a professional drawing package.
- Perform, understand and execute upon the results of structural
finite element analysis (FEA) and/or thermal computational fluid
dynamics (CFD) analysis to determine the best and most efficient
- Utilize the drawing number system within the Autodesk Vault -
JELD-WEN's product data management (PDM) system
- Modifies drawings by analyzing, resolving, and incorporating
- Maintain the project information within the PDM system and
- Project time estimates
- Notes - calculations - e-mail
- Product Drawings
- Cut Sheets - photocopies from suppliers' catalogs with
- Purchase Orders
- Drawings - 11x17 prints
- Red Lines
- Perform preliminary drawing and bill of materials (BOM) checks
before the drawing(s) and/or BOM(s) are submitted to checker,
Product Engineer II's, or Senior Product Engineers.
- Generate/check bill of materials for the Data Department.
- Produce copies of prints as needed.
- Checks drawings/work done by other Designers and Product
- Update red lines if required.
- Communicate drafting and design issues with Product
- Responsible for assisting in the Drawing, CAD, and 3D Modeling
- Communicate work load with Product Engineer II's, Senior
Product Engineers and Product Engineering Manager.
- Build and test prototypes.
- Maintain a sense of urgency/responsibility daily with all
- Ensure product designs are manufacturing friendly.
- Review designs with plant personnel and JELD-WEN's
Manufacturing and Automation Equipment teams.
- Work with and train Designers.
- Evaluates materials and makes recommendations.
- Keep abreast of changes in the industry, materials, and process
- Work with leadership to ensure that Product Engineering is
meeting their needs.
Preferred Position Requirements
- Education: BS in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering (or
- CAD and Drafting Skills, Parametric 3D modeling, GD&T
principles. Experience with AutoCAD, Inventor, and PDM systems are
- Understanding and application of tolerances, datums and
- Understanding and application of PPAP's and supplier quality as
it relates to design of product and process capability.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
- Experience: 1-3 years as a mid-level product/project engine er
with relevant background leading multi-body design projects from
cradle to launch or 3-7 years entry level design engineer with
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Interfaces with outside suppliers.
- Ability and a proven track record of maintaining a professional
- 5-20% travel is anticipated with the potential for
JELD-WEN is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not
discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on
the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital
status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by
applicable discrimination laws.
Unless explicitly requested or approached by JELD-WEN, the company
will not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment
agencies, or fee-based recruitment services
Keywords: JELD-WEN, Inc., Medford , Product Engineer I, Engineering , Klamath Falls, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!